Sunday, November 7, 2010

Close Up Snowman - How do artists organize their artwork within the space of their paper?




The first graders have been on the "Space" unit for a quite a while now.  They have completed 4 or 5 projects using space (this unit included the landscapes, cityscapes, these snowmen and a winter landscape).  These snowmen have been so unique even though they are all cropped the same way.  I spoke about zooming in on a camera with the kids and even showed them what that looks like on a digital camera.  I had the kids follow along while I drew the outline of the snowman with a black crayon and they added their own details.  I also asked the students to draw snow flakes in the sky with a white crayon.  Then the students painted the details with watercolors...making sure to leave out the white snowman!

This project was inspired by a post on Deep Space Sparkle

2 comments:

  1. Lovely start to your blogging- I have been on summer holidays here in Australia- school starts again next week so am looking for new inspiration again- main theme this term is japan. Have 2 weeks there shortly so will get lots of inspiration.
    Cheryl H
    Perth Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do I follow your blog? I've never done that before.

    ReplyDelete